Another writing group sharing today, which always helps. Though consistently encouraging, the praise nearly always overwhelms me. They’re forever telling me they love my story and that I should have no problem being published. No problem whatsoever, they all agree. Only, inside my head I’m thinking they have no idea what’s coming next. That I lose my virginity and faith both. . .while still in the convent.
In the meantime, I chug along at an even pace. One chapter a week.
Words on paper. Moving on. Counting down.
I wonder at the writers who yearn to write and spend each spare moment with tablet and pencil in hand, or at the keyboard. Oh to be so driven! My drive to write resembles a nagging parent. I feel urged. Picked on. Pushed to write in order to silence the voice. To stop hearing folks say I should write my story and instead be able to inform them it's been done, and that they can purchase a copy of their own.

4 comments:
I think a famous writer was asked if he loved writing, and he replied : "No, but I love having written"
Sums it up pretty well I think :)
I'm suggesting not to write for publication. Two reasons: 1) It makes you put filters on yourself and how much you want to share.
2)With the present decrease in publications, many large houses only put out a dozen or more books a year. It's very, very, very hard to be published. and memoirs are even more difficult unless you're a celebrity.
You're writing this for yourself. How would you feel if you filtered it, then discovered it wasn't publishable (unless self-published) because it doesn't reach the magic number of 5000 copies in 6 months?
Write what you please, the way you want. Share only the parts you want. You'll be much happier with the process, I think.
Thanks a jillion, Selene and Barb. An affirmation of my hesitancy to write for publication/money. I want to write simply for the release and resolution it bring to my own peace of mind.
Yeah, I'm with Barb. I never suggest that anyone will have "no problem" getting published. That's a very fickle and strange business. And I also agree that you should not be writing with publication in mind. Whadda way to freeze yourself up before another word gets on the page.
HOWEVER, losing your faith & virginity in the convent? Oh my dear, you could not invent something that would be more interesting than that! Write on, Orice, write on!
Post a Comment