Sunday, February 3, 2013

No Disaster



I have to admit that I’m a bit disappointed that the world as we know it didn’t end on 12/12/12. I had secretly hoped I might be one of the blessed few, out of hoards of humans, that would be ascending on thereabouts date. Though we seem to have averted any catastrophes for the time being, I’m rather bored by my tendency to continue plodding along.
It was somewhat of a let down not to hear angelic whispers in my ear; nor did I ascend. Nor was I swiped out of my bed during the dark of night into some Alien spacecraft—kidnapped and relocated to some other, painless world. Most depressingly, I had no sudden insights as to when the final time might be, or if there's no big-deal world ending, how to save the dieing one we occupy.
In spite of my repeated requests to the heavens, I wasn't abducted, nor did I ascend. I didn't so much as rise even one eensy weensy inch off the ground. Nothing happened to me on December twelfth. In the meantime, I’ve covered all my bases in case a complete world transition has only been delayed. I’ve made it known to whichever higher being might be listening, that should I live to experience such a disaster, I be taken immediately. Without pain.
Among the cataclysms I've imagined, the most prevalent is a flood, touched off by the untimely and rapid disappearance of glaciers or by a tsunami. Where I live, such events could touch off a sudden rise in both the Columbia and Willamette rivers. I’ve imagined myself floundering and struggling underwater while trapped within my own house. Struggling for breath and grasping for salvation, I succumb to the water amid a swirl of bobbing household objects—wooden and plastic chairs, plastic cups, wastebaskets, sodden books, blankets, and general household junk.
Another likely scenario is an earthquake. If it happens during the day, I hope I’m not on the the road--the complex scramble of freeways and overpasses that carry traffic across rivers and throughout the heart of the metropolitan area. No doubt the entire system will collapse instantaneously, leaving multitudes dead. If the shakeup occurs in the middle of the night, I see myself being crushed flatter than a pancake by the roof above the bed. In either case, I pray my spirit leaves my body before I even know what happened. 
Since nothing has happened so far and I’m still here, I'm making room in my head for the coming of spring. Warmer weather is on its way, so I’m making a list. A thorough carpet cleaning will be first,especially since the river won't be reclaiming our neighborhood this year.  And my garden is already calling. I need to consider adding more perennials to the shady side of the house this season.
Life acts like it might be going on for now, and is almost harder to take than any imagined earthshaking disaster.

No comments: