Whenever my mind wanders, I’m unaware.. . . .Unconscious.
According to spiritual books, most of us
spend entire days, weeks, entire lifetimes, being mostly unconscious. Mostly
unaware of what it is we are doing. Eating, for example. We inhale our food and want more, since we are mostly unaware of having eaten at all.
Being conscious is like being enlightened.
Alive.
Awake.
Here in the moment.
Present.
I meditate almost every day for a whole hour and
find myself chasing an endless parade of thoughts. Being unconscious. Though I may sit as still as a mummy and try to focus on my breath, my thoughts keep
sucking me into. . . making to-do lists. . .
or replaying yesterday's conversations. . .
.. . or worrying about what ifs. . .
Physical activities like going for a walk, trimming the
bushes, pulling weeds, or vacuuming are already mind-numbing and the perfect tine to focus in the NOW. But I’m often unconscious even then. How easy wouldn't
it be to deeply immerse myself in the muscles of my legs as I’m walking, or on
the beauty of the outdoors as I’m clipping several inches off the Azalea bush—one
whack at a time. Instead, I’m thinking about what so and so said to me
yesterday, or last week, or a lifetime ago. Or wondering where I'm ever going to find the time to do everything that needs being done.
What a joy it would be to be able to lose my blabbering
mind. My spiritual book gives me some encouragement though, reminding me that catching
myself being unaware is the first step to awakening.
I'm catching myself more often lately.
Maybe that means there's some hope.

3 comments:
finding the way to awareness - the very things that give consternation are the very things that bring awareness. Thank you for sharing your journey. Karen D
Thank YOU, Karen, for stopping by.
I discovered the blabber mouth mind, as you so succinctly described it, years ago. So I rarely meditate. When I get off the roller-coaster ride of trivial matters, I sometimes contemplate. Is that related to meditation? Alice
Post a Comment