Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Poetry Time

Last week, Oregon’s poet laureate, Lawson Inada, came to our small town library to present a poetry writing workshop and some of his own readings. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to believe what opportune happenings grace our little town of Moro. Through we are small, we enjoy events that one would guess only big cities would have. Not so. On that special poetry night, Elaine, Kathy and I had front row seats for Lawson’s workshop. The select group of us who attended was encouraged to write some Haiku, which Lawson listened to with open heart and ear, and then graciously applauded.

Because of Lawson’ encouragement, I find myself jotting down Haiku now and then. I never appreciated this abbreviated art form as much until this inspiring man spent time with us. I’ve since researched more of Oregon’s and the nation’s poet laureates. My appetite whetted for more.

Writers from The Dalles, Fossil, Arlington and Condon joined the event, and Lawson was quick to encourage us to “start something” annual that would get more of us sharing our poetry with one another. Which is about to happen. The group of writers from The Dalles has since invited all of us to a first annual “Open Mike” poetry reading event. Elaine, Jeanney (our local librarian) and I are already excited about attending and in the midst of deciding which of our poetry we want to share.

Dick, Jan’s father, also recently surprised our “Wednesdays at Nine” writing group by making a book for each of our members, with writings and illustrated covers. It impressed each of us so much to see our writing in book form that we’re in the process of collecting pieces of our writing to add to these books. The next logical step is to create a “Poetry Sharing” evening at Moro’s Harvest Moon Gallery sometime this summer. Oh, I absolutely LOVE this creative life I’m living here.

No comments: