Sunday, May 2, 2010

Broken

Yesterday I searched out the local Garden Society's annual plant sale along River Road. My sweet landlady is a member and I promised her I would stop by. Not only did I enjoy the lovely and numerous plants that filled the garage, patio and lawn of the residence for the sale, but I couldn't resist buying a lovely, but fragile mobile made from recycled glass. Carefully taking my treasure home without a hitch, I dropped in on my stairway inside the door. Of course it splintered into a jillion pieces. There was no chance of being able to glue it together, though I contemplated it for about 3 seconds.
The next day, my landlady asked me how I was enjoying my purchase,so I told her of my loss and chalked it up as my contribution to the Garden Society's cause: a scholarship fund for a Horticultural student at the local college.
Today, Linda appeared at my door with a matching glass mobile that she purchased from the same glass artist at the sale. She insisted on giving it to me. What a joy to have such friends. Such sweet landlords. Such a delicate piece of art that now graces my window view of the river.

2 comments:

Liz in Kansas said...

My goodness! Your landlady is a real treasure! Friends are the real blessings in life, aren't they?

Heather said...

What a sweet woman! I truly believe that what you put out there you get back 10 fold, and you are indeed worthy! I love you!