Monday, October 17, 2011

Wine and Music

The musicians arrive one by one to begin their practice for their first gig on Saturday night. Sue is the violinist supreme and has recruited four others: a standup bass play, an accordionist, a pianist and finally a percussionist.

I listen from the kitchen as they carefully retrieve their instruments from black, zippered cases and set them up. Laughter and good-natured jibing intersperse the sounds of tuning up. Mostly I hear the accordion right now. I hold my breath, waiting the music. This gig will be Tango music and though I don’t begin to know how to Tango, I can barely keep my legs from wanting to carry me passionately across the floor.

I lap up the music from each of these weekly practices, especially since I will be in California this Saturday. Much of me will be lingering behind that night, wishing I could be taking in the music, the dancers and the air of passionate excitement. If I were able to attend, I’d be sitting in the loft area, sipping a glass of wine. Ahhhhh. . . what a lovely life I have chosen to live!

2 comments:

Rose L said...

Did you sing along???

Orice said...

The songs had no words, so I did a lot of humming. LOL