Though I've pretty much boycotted the Church, these still-Catholic/or still-nun friends keep me updated. And fuming. A major fallout between women/nuns and the Patriarchal hierarchy has been too long in the making, in my opinion. What woman in her right mind could remain in the sinking hulk of this Church? It bamboozles me. With crazy, misogynist leadership at the helm, there seems no possibility of survival. And even less chance that women will ever be allowed:
- freedom of choice regarding
- birth control and abortion,
- death with dignity
- access to the priesthood - and influence over the Church direction
- freedom to support homosexuals, the poor or any downtrodden group
- other stuff I haven't listed
As it so happens, I'm also thirty-five chapters into my memoirs right now, which I've named, "Once Upon a Convent". I'm proceeding rather slowly, only a week and a chapter at a time. It would be much more, had I not had to keep a lid on my tendency to hyperventilate. Even at a distance of thirty-five years, it remains a challenge to stay somewhat balanced. I have to come up for air while submerged in those memories.
To be continued. .
An article about the War on Nuns: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/vatican-orders-crackdown-on-american-nuns/2012/04/18/gIQANRvWRT_story.html
And a link to a blogger, whose comments on the subject are worth reading: (Scroll down to the April 24th entry, entitled: The Vatican Tries to Bitchslap Nuns: http://ishouldbelaughing.blogspot.com/

2 comments:
Thanks for the shout-out.
I am not a religious man, though I do have certain beliefs, but I find myself incensed by nearly everything the Catholic Church does in the so-called name of God.
I look forward to following your story.
Thanks, Bob. I also intend to follow your blog.
Post a Comment