Coyote butte beckoned my spirit today, so I grabbed my rattle and drum and headed for the top. From there, it seems I can see the entire world. The coastal range on the west; the peaks of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Jefferson to the southwest and northwest. Beyond the edge of the wheat fields to the north lies the Gorge. Of course there is the eternal presence of Wind Spirit in this outland where I live.
The purpose of my visit was to consult my Spirit Animal. I’ve been rereading “The Way of the Shaman”, by Michael Harner, and wanted to reestablish the connection I once had. Therefore, I first proceeded to honor the four directions and then to drum, chant and dance in honor of my Spirit Animal. Eventually, I drummed myself out and simply sat on the dried, yellowing grasses, amidst the windblown Sagebrush; my everyday thoughts cast a million miles away. A deep quiet replaced my noisy, worrisome inclinations. The Presence of Absence took over.
After being duly cleansed by Wind and Sky, I climbed back into my Honda and drove back home along the dusty, winding country road. My Spirit Animal accompanied me. Renewed and invigorated, I feel readier for the next go around.

No comments:
Post a Comment