My schedule has finally slowed down enough to allow my body and mind to catch up with each another. Everyone I know seems to be flying at warp speed and has more things on her/his agenda each day than any sane person would ever consider trying to do in a year!. Where are we all off to? No one I know seems to be able to slow down. Insanity at it's best!
Plus, it's turned wintry over the past few days. Makes me want to turn up the heat and flop down in front of the TV and let a stream of mindless reruns flow through my brain. But my schedule doesn't permit any pauses. And I haven’t said, “NO” convincingly or loud enough to draw a halt to anything. Who's in charge here, I ask myself? Why can't I simply turn it all off? STOP my clocks and calendars for at least a week or two.
On the brighter side, an angel visited us yesterday. I swear she was an Angel because, although prescheduled by Jan's physician to pay us visit us a home visit, we didn't really expect what happened. The gal was such an understanding, knowledgeable and helpful person in the flesh. A Respiratory Therapist, independent of the medical system, working for an Oxygen Supply company. For free. With the Doctor’s go-ahead, she visits homes of patients who are considered "lost causes" in the Breathing department. Jan has become exactly that: a Lost Cause, who has been slowly slipping downward; gasping for daily breath and unable to get any worthwhile help from a single Doctor for the past year. Her doctor has been at a loss to help her, mostly due to the fact that her blood oxygen number isn't quite low enough to merit Jan's receiving oxygen.
Thus, the visiting therapist. . . . a genuine Godsend. For two hours she took Jan's history and did tests on her breathing inability. She immediately came up with some very good suggestions for changes that could be made in her medications, as well as and in her whole approach to breathing. She will now take on the position as Jan’s liaison between the doctors, Insurance company and whatever other organization that needs to be involved to get Jan back to a much better state of health. Regularly. She told us there was no reason Jan couldn’t improve drastically and live a much better quality of life. Wow! Finally!
Jan and I both broke down and cried tears of relief and new hope. Things will change now, as this fiesty woman begins contacting doctors, Insurance, etc. What a blessing! What a blessing! What a blessing! I wouldn’t have been at all surprised if the gal, upon leaving, took off on a pair of wings, rather than driving off in her car to her home in Hood River. What a lesson for me in Not Giving Up hope. Even when things seem impossible.

No comments:
Post a Comment