Wednesday, July 9, 2008

New Doll



I finally finished the doll I started a few weeks ago. It's another of Deanna Hogan's doll patterns, which involves making a clay face in a purchased mold. Then the face is covered with knit cloth and painted. It also takes a lot of time and fussing to make each of the dolls' joints. Elbows, wrists, knees and ankles are a ball-and-socket type joint. A wooden bead is buried inside each of these joints, allowing them to move like their counterparts in the human body. But does it ever take time! Whew! I thought I'd never finish. Her hair is made from two kinds of yarn that I knitted together. After completing her, I'm quite satisfied and have named her, "Gretel".

Now on to my next project. Not sure whether I'll make some aprons or another doll.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh she's absolutely lovely!! Fabulous work!! ~Sharon

Liz in Kansas said...

She is a beauty. Worth all the extra work. Oh - please make more dolls! I love to see your work.

Deanna Hogan said...

Hi Orice,
You did a great job with this doll - the joints are fussy, but you end up with a doll that poses very expressively.

I'm teaching this class in the fall, and have to make several sample dolls. That's going to take some time!

Take care,
Deanna