I’ll admit it, I’ve been a lifelong Critic of other folks' relationship…
Especially the ones my siblings are involved in.
I have spent a lot of years thinking I know what is best for each of them. Especially in regard to their relationships with their primary partners. I tell myself each one is involved in a pretty sick little marriage and that I know the solution for each of their scrambled, dysfunctional lives.
Ultimately, it all boils down to the fact that each one should simply leave his or her current useless, abusive, complaining, obsessive spouse and either live alone or find someone else to live with.
Pretty simple, I tell myself. So why do each one of them remain stuck in their own miserable pattern of unhappiness? In spite of how obvious the solutions seems to me and most likely any other casual observer?
I see through the lives of others with an astounding clarity I don’t have regarding my own.
Is LEAVING really the answer? Would another one be any better than the one we currently have? Would living alone make us all happier?
Okay, so I’ve had relationship “issues” my entire life long. And it doesn’t look like I’m going to find my way clear anytime soon. It’s just so much easier and more fun to be righteous about it and try to solve everyone else’s messy lives instead of my own.
Maybe I’ll sit myself down one of these days.
Maybe I’ll look in the mirror of my own current, very sticky, very complicated, very up and down, very sometimes-rewarding-in-spite-of-it-all relationship.
Especially the relationship I’m having
. . .or not having. .
with my very own self.
It’s the only one that counts anyway.

4 comments:
Ouch! Too much truth in that one brush it off. I'll have to ponder that one a while.
Thanks for stopping by, Jan. Appreciate your comments.
You got my life, spot on...why does our life always look better on someone else?
I liked it just fine on you, but it makes me itch!
We live, we learn!
Jan,
It seems that the more honest we are with ourselves. . .and are able to express it, the more others can relate. It seems we are really all more alike in our experiences than not. At least that's what I'd like to think.
Thank you for sharing your comments on my blog. I appreciate it very much.
Post a Comment