Friday, April 27, 2007

Reverend Orice

During the Quantum Touch class last weekend, the teacher mentioned that, if we wanted, we could become ministers online, through the Universal Life Church. Students who don’t have a massage license or are not certified to touch through any other health related field, would then be able to legally practice Quantum Touch as ministers. For some reason the idea of becoming a minister (through a website that performs this service absolutely free) struck me as something wonderful. Something to consider. The more I daydreamed about becoming “Reverend Orice” and starting my own church/community/religion, the more I smiled and thought it might be fun.

When I told Jan, she scoffed at the notion. What an old Fuddy-Duddy! Don’t know why she became so upset with it, because to me it is all in the spirit of empowerment and joy. When I told a couple of my Wisdom Circle friends (which “church” has already been up and running for several months), she too loved the idea. So together we fantasized. Perhaps everyone in our church could become ordained. We would find or provide a“space” for creative rituals, celebrations, dances, chanting/singing sessions, hands-on-healing and drumming circles. To name only a few possibilites. Various names we came up with were:
“Church of Absolute Joy”
"Circle of Celebration"
and "Circle of Absolutely Divine Beings".

I applied online a couple days ago and it only took a couple days before I was issued a Certificate of Ministry, which proclaims me a "Minister of the Universal Life Church". I then downloaded my copy, (with my name and a even a gold seal) which I printed off and will perhaps frame and hang somewhere. Around my neck?

Jans reaction was scorn, which is likely to be many folks' reaction and reminds me to keep it to myself, except in the right circles. She doesn’t even want to talk about it. Which piques my curiosity, but doesn’t stop me. The idea that Iimpossibly rigid and predominantly male realms of Church Hierarchy and Bureaucracy can be bypassed excites me. The ministry SHOULD be easily available for women and even children to try on for any amount of time they wish. If the Goddess (or for that matter, Jesus or whatever Divinity we could think of) were to walk down the streets of Moro and be consulted in this manner, I know s/he would be delighted. Relieved that the whole serious mess of Religious Bureaucracy was finally ignored and overlooked, and that it was being replaced by a spirit of playfulness and joy. With organizations that regarded all Life as Sacred and every person Divine.

So now I look in the mirror and smile at myself. A “minister”, without having to be a MAN, a CATHOLIC or even a christian. Without having to devote myself to endless serious studies of “Divine Books” and without having to become a Jumper- Through-Endless-Hoops to arrive at the top of a religious pyramid scheme.

What a delightfully cosmic, light-hearted joke. Without sweat, pain or money, the Universal Life Church offers ministry credentials to any Tom, Dick, Harry . . .. Or MARY, who applies.

The organization actually exists as a church in Modesto, California. They will ordain anyone for free, but also have available all kinds of certificates, classes and ministerial paraphernalia for ordering through their website: certificates of marriage, baptism and other common rituals, commonly performed by ministers. The documents that a minister issues during marriages, baptisms or any other service will also be considered legal documents by the state too. Each state has different requirements for legal recognition. In Oregon, I have to register my ministry status with someone at the Courthouse.

I again applaud the Univeral Life Church for their unique idea; for their respectful approach to ordination and for recognizing each candidates's right to be considered "reverend". I am impressed with the statement of the church's philosophy and for its simple, direct approach to one of the Patriarchy's most sacred "cows".

The website: http://ulc.net

Now, let’s see what I can become next. . . .

No comments: