Thursday, May 31, 2007

Courage to Fly

May 31, 2007
Courage to Fly

Hot dogs and I went on our morning walk today and I vowed to start earlier tomorrow. Feels like the dead heat of summer already, and it’s not even June yet.

Did a trade with Jeanney today at our house. Exchanged Reiki for Breema. The windows let in the cool breeze as we lay upon layers of softness on the massage room floor. Crickets and Robins kept up a ruckus outside the window.

The Robins have been on the peck since early this morning. They woke us up with their alarming screeches and hollers. A baby bird had evidently fallen from the nest, or more likely from a limb while trying to fly. From inside our window, all I could see was a ball of fluff below the tree, and several loud birds, aggressively dive-bombing one of our cats, who had also noticed. Though I rushed outside to grab the cat, the birds had already scared him away. No mean feat, because Buster regularly makes birds part of his diet. Can’t help it, I tell myself. He’s a cat.

Later on this morning, though I could see no bird on the ground, I spied the little one hiding amidst the tall greens our front flowerbed. So the parent birds have been calling, cajoling and surrounding their baby the livelong day. Jan and I decided not to interfere, since the baby is quite big and is obviously supposed to be flying by now. Hard to let go and allow Nature to take its course. I notice it’s quiet outside now. Hopefully the youngster has found his courage to take to the air again.

No comments: