Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blue Heron



Blue Heron lives down by the river’s inlet, where I catch sight of him every morning.
Standing on stilt-like legs in the waters.

Motionless

Without catching anything,
at least not while I watch.

Eternally patient.
He stands spindly-legged and waits.

Alone.

Does he choose to be alone,
Or has he been left?

I am also alone.
I watch.

and wait.

Maybe each of us is satisfied.
Having either been left behind. . .
Or having left. .

We wait
We watch

Ready to take flight in an instant.

2 comments:

Liz in Kansas said...

Isn't he gorgeous? You make 'alone' sound heavenly. I'm quite envious you know. LOL!

Jan said...

I agree with Liz ^ that you are making alone sound heavenly. I have experienced it and it is quite heavenly...and yet many of us choose to move on and acquire the chatter and chaos of human clutter, again and again!

Careful, though, we may all come barging in, sleeping bags in hand, to modify your peaceful life!

I'll not remind you of what a gift you have there...I can 'feel' that you appreciate it.

Peace,
Jan