Monday, September 21, 2009

Wasabi Moments

I’ve been living alone for almost a month now and loving every minute of it.
Alone, yes.
But not a bit lonely.

In fact, I’m relishing the luxury of not having to worry about or defer to anyone else for a very big change.

Tonight, I’m in front of my computer after having polished off a bowl of fresh strawberries and rice milk. The only sound breaking through the silence is that of the crickets and the occasional squawk of passing geese overhead.

Yesterday, I took myself on a date to the Farmer’s Market in the nearby town of Milwaukee, where I treated myself to a bowl of freshly concocted soup at a booth called “Souper-Natural” after having roamed and picked through a rich variety of other produce, craft and prepared food booths. For dessert, I had a bowl of peach gelato.

Since I left my old life, my taste buds have expanded and demanded something a little different: ethnic foods such as Indian, Thai and Chinese. One of the booths at the market, “Carol’s Nuthouse”, carried a huge selection of packaged nuts, with several varieties coated in wausabi, which I learned means “horseradish”. After tasting samples (urged upon me by the kind proprietor) several kinds of wausabi covered nuts, I discovered that I liked the stuff. So I purchased a couple bags of medley-style wausabi treats, containing roasted nuts, seeds, (some covered with wausabi and some of the plain-roasted kind), ginger and cranberries.

I topped off my evening by renting a couple movies and watching them until my eyeballs almost fell out of my head. And why not? I can now sleep in without any concern about anyone else’s schedule.

If a part of me begins to wonder if I’ll get bored with this living-alone kind of life, another part of me immediately knows the answer. It doesn’t matter what happens next. If I continue enjoying what’s happening in the present moment and stay in the present moment. Joy will remain forever.

1 comment:

Liz in Kansas said...

Wausabi - I've heard of it, but had no idea what it is. Horseradish? Not my cup of tea, but you make it sound pretty good. Guess I'll have to try it after all! You sound very content. I'm so glad.