Monday, November 22, 2010

Hummingbird



According to some traditions, Hummingbird symbolizes immortality and joy. While walking the neighbor’s dog in yesterday’s barely-above-freezing weather, a Hummingbird startled me by buzzing within inches of my left ear. Mistaking it for a hornet or a bee, I jerked around and flapped my hand toward the noisy little bugger and immediately saw a Hummingbird. It hovered hovered a few more seconds within a few feet of my face and then darted out of sight. No doubt it was the Spirit of LaRay, my sweet elderly neighbor, whose memorial service was only a week before. Earlier, a Hummingbird had also visited her daughter Shari in a similar fashion. Shari had asked her mom appear to her as this type of bird a few days before her mother died. Both Shari and I were present at the moment of her mother’s passing. Perhaps that's why LaRay also touched me with the joyous spirit of Hummingbird.

2 comments:

Doreen said...

Orice, This visitation that both you and Sherie witnessed is so amazing. It gives me goosebumps when I think about it. I have no doubt that it was your friend, coming to tell you both that all is well. What a gift!

Orice said...

Me too, Doreen. What a joy!