
Kate's dollhouse

Kate's window.
I go off and on about loving the space I’m in. Some days I think it needs too many changes to satisfy me: new paint in the bedroom and on the ceilings throughout; new flooring in the living room; a deck outside the kitchen window; a remodel for the back bathroom. Other days, I love the space exactly as it is. Cozy, colorful and overflowing with my dolls and crafts, as well as Jan’s ships and needlepoint. So what if some of the walls are crammed to the hilt? So what if Feng Shui would waggle its finger at my “too-muchness”. My home will never be a “Martha Stewart” special. Nor will it resemble any of HGTV’s perfect makeover homes. I’m resigned to let it be a bit loud in color and a lot over-decorated for the taste of my stuffier side.
A couple days ago I stumbled upon the two photos above. . . of the window in a British woman’s home and her cluttery dollhouse. I immediately fell in love with both. “Cluttered and homey” only begins to describe it. “Stuffed to the gills” with dreams and collectables is what appeals to me. Here’s one of her photos.The place reeks of living without shoes and hanging around the wood stove. The casual air of pots and plants hanging from every possible niche stabilizes and grounds the spirit. Someone comfortable abides within this space, and has been there long enough to grow roots and attract more than just a few good friends. I aspire to this kind of home.Here’s the link to the rest of this artist’s photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48939225@N00/
And my own house? I too am slowly acquiring the art of clutter. Started jamming the corners and tops of piano and other vacant surfaces with cloth dolls and gobs of other loveable stuff. Me thinks that perhaps my convent aestheticism has yet to break its strong hold upon me. That inner voice warning me not to get too messy. Not to acquire too much. Not to clutter, dear Gawd! So here’s my own beginning ode to clutter. . . .see photos below in my next post:

2 comments:
I love the clutter-it's organized and looks like you're quite creative there. =) I have a room in our basement that is FILLED with all kinds of stuff. I love being in there being creative and Jason is on the opposite side of the wall playing on the computer!
Awwww, my sweet Heather. I can just see you there....and love it.
Post a Comment