Thursday, December 4, 2008

Crew of Quilters



First, a brief show and tell pf the image I drew above. A"Zentangle". A form I discovered on Flickr and researched. They're fun to make and remind me of the type drawing I've already been puttering with lately.

Otherwise, it's been strangely silent on my Blog lately. Because I've been gadding about town doing various and sundry projects. On Monday, I teamed up with Moro's hard-working quilters, who helped Lisa get ready to move from one building downtown Moro to another. Her landlady decided out of the blue that she wanted Lisa to vacate her Quilt Shop and move elsewhere. Which threw Lisa and the whole quilting community into a tizzy until another place could be found. (Lisa was the perfect tennant. The landlady is an inconsiderate, stingy grump!)

Lisa has been on the frantic lookout for another working space for several months until offered a space in the old Moro Hotel across the street from her current location. It's an ancient, rambly building that served as an antique shop forever, until the sudden death of it's owner. It's been sitting unused since. Loaded to the gills with antiques...old junk and more than a few years worth of dust.

At first glimpse of the space Lisa is to occupy, the first few of us hearty volunteers gasped at the mountain of junk and were tempted to escape towards the hills in the opposite direction. At LEAST a million shelves, stacked a at least a mile high with glassware: dishes, vases, pitchers, knick-knacks....etc.. It would take us at LEAST a week to pack it all up.

Over the course of the day the number of packer-uppers grew to fourteen. Fourteen willing, chatting, busy-bee quilters, quickly melting what could have been a four day job into a mere four hours work. In between we took an extra long lunch break at the cafe across the street. In spite of the that, we shocked ourselves by finishing the entire job so quickly! Now, after the carpenters clean up, repaint and build enough shelves to hold all the fabric, the quilting crew will return to help move. Ya-hooey!

It makes my heart proud to live here amongst such helpful, friendly and hard-working friends! Feels like family. More than enough warmth, laughter, creativity, squabbles, work and heartache among us to feel like it. I LOVE living here.

2 comments:

Liz in Kansas said...

Sounds as if the move will turn out to be a good thing for Lisa. You must have had a lot of fun packing up. Four hours is incredible! Many hands - and happy, willing ones - really can make short work!

Deanna Hogan said...

What a shock it must have been to Lisa, but what a wonderful opportunity. I remember the antique shop, and I think it will be a wonderful space for her and the community.

Hope to see you soon!

Deanna