Monday, March 29, 2010
Standup Paddling
My world continues to expand in unexpected ways. Last night is a good example. Already in my pajamas, I was settling into my usual before-bedtime mode, when my neighbor phoned me and invited me to join them in a spur-of-the-moment 63rd wedding anniversary celebration for their parents, Norm and LaRay. Included on the guest list were my landlords, their daughters and elderly parents, as well as Norm and LaRay's son and family from Bend.
While sampling both the chocolate velvet cake and coconut cream pie, I was introduced to the Bend couple and their (famous) sixteen year old daughter, Isabella Acosta. The three of them are -scheduled to fly to Russia today so that Isabella, and accomplished world cup contender in Fencing, will compete. Isabella is my first close-up encounter with an Olympic contender. So young, unassuming and strikingly beautiful girl. http://isabellabarna.blogspot.com/
Isabella's mom, Christina Acosta, is a talented Oregon author and artist http://www.christinaacosta.com/ with similar interest in the arts, as well as a background as serious Catholics. Each of us is now a Goddess-oriented feminist/artist. Both Christina and her husband are also ardent sport enthusiasts. . especially at the sport of stand-up water paddling, which intrigued me when I saw them one morning, paddling down the Willamette in a standing position. They have a stand-up paddle business in Bend. And, as they so invitingly pointed-out to me, "Why not give it a try myself? Since I could launch out at any time from my own "back yard". http://www.standuppaddleflatwater.com/ Who knows? Maybe I will.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I've never seen SUP before! Looks like fun, although I'm afraid it would take quite a bit of practice before I had a dry run!
Post a Comment