Fall is finally here, and it’s deliciously drippy outside. A guilt-free excuse to spend endless hours, plunked in front of my sewing machine, with the TV droning away in the background. What more can a dedicated dollmaker ask? Yesterday, the rain blessed our doll club as well. Kathleen, Jane, Donna, Lisa, Mary (and a few moments of Penny) and I kept the quilt shop warmed up and humming with nonstop gossip, laughter, busily whirring sewing machines and dolls. I wouldn’t trade a single day, spent with these creative, dollmaking friends of mine, for a day on vacation on some exotic isle. Crafting and women friends, who share my devotion, thrill my heart.
Since epb’s workshop, I’ve been cooking up dolls like nobody’s business. I’m proud of how my Bead Merchant finally turned out; made from my dyed, mostly mauve and purple materials. Though I didn’t dye the next one, I finished up Santa and the Big Chicken in time for the season. Buried at the bottom of my To-Do basket are parts of an All-in-Green-Shades mermaid. A country-style Santa doll will follow (or maybe he'll be next). I cut out, sewed and nicely stuffed him yesterday, and now he's sitting in pieces on my table, awaiting a face and some clothing. A surprise gift for someone?
In the wake of epb’s visit, I’ve also dyed several separate groups of fabric; using orange, green, mauve, purple and blue dyes. Each grouping of fabric and materials will eventually become a whimsical, monochromatically coordinated character. With the holiday frenzy looming just ahead, I'm likely to be forced to make a decision: decorating and baking? Or making dolls? At the moment, I'm heading for my machine.

No comments:
Post a Comment